New World Visions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New World Visions

- A spiritual community where people are preparing for paradise! -

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A leadership Checkup

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Character Profile
Name: Sis. Du Wright
Church Attendance: Never Misses a Church Service
Outside Occupation: Researcher

A leadership Checkup Empty
PostSubject: A leadership Checkup   A leadership Checkup Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 4:08 pm

A Leadership Check-up
By John C. Maxwell

A vital leader seldom waits for failure before appraising his or her leadership skills. These eight questions will help you evaluate your leadership strengths and weaknesses. You can then fine-tune your personal development program accordingly.

1. How and where do I have influence? Influence – not position or power – makes a leader successful. What is my current level of influence at work? How often do others turn to me for direction or approval? Do I see evidence of my influence both above and below me on the organizational chart? Who influences me and how? Remember, we often adopt both the strengths and weaknesses of those around us, so make sure you are not being influenced in a way that leads you away from your goals. In what new arenas can I extend my influence? It may be a new department, a new market or venue, a new partnership or alliance, or a new vendor or supplier.

2. Where can I improve my people skills? Someone can lead for a season based on position or problem-solving ability, but success in the long run depends on the ability to get along with and develop people.

• How can I improve my listening skills?
• How can I discover what motivates those whom I lead?
• Am I willing to ask more questions and get more input from others?

3. Do I have a positive outlook? A positive attitude alone doesn’t identify a capacity for leadership, but a negative spirit will always diminish a person’s leadership potential. The ability to master my own emotions gives me a sizeable advantage during crisis situations. Never forget that a crisis situation is precisely when leadership is most noticed and valued.

4. Do I see evidence of growth in self-discipline?

• Am I disciplined in my use of time?
• Do I willingly delay gratification in order to achieve worthwhile goals?
• Are there any evidences of lack of self-discipline in my appearance or work habits?

5. Do I have a proven track record of success in my field? Busyness is not an accurate indicator of success. Some people work like crazy and never accomplish anything. Past success is a key predictor of future success.

• What have I accomplished that I am proud of?
• Did those accomplishments include others?
• How does my experience relate to what I need today?
• Am I willing to put forth the effort again?

6. How are my problem-solving skills? Many people are impressed with their ability to spot a problem. Identifying a problem is easy; just about anyone can do it. Leaders must solve problems. In fact, where there are no problems, there is no need for leadership. Problem solvers don’t dwell on what went wrong or who was to blame. Instead, they spend their energies on finding a solution.

7. Do I refuse to accept the status quo? Growing leaders value progress over security. Not only are they dissatisfied with what is; they have a vision for what can be. The person who resists the status quo is willing to take a risk, be different, and pay the price for victory.

8. Do I have a big-picture mindset? How often do you step back to maintain perspective, especially in the face of distractions or pressure? Keeping a sense of direction when the fog of fatigue sets in is a trait of a gifted leader.

Self-evaluation is not for the faint-hearted. An honest assessment by these diagnostic questions will make you aware of at least a couple of areas where you need to sharpen your skills.

The question is – will you?

John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 12 million books. His organizations have trained more than one million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of Injoy Stewardship Services and EQUIP.

Back to top Go down
http://www.revelation1467.com

A leadership Checkup
Page 1 of 1